Wednesday, March 31, 2010

i work this corner from eleven to five...

Nanci Griffith Wednesday!

href="">

Here is Nanci at her most lyrically playful - singing from the point-of-view of a New York prostitute! She is clearly having a ball with this catchy number - I'm surprised this doesn't get covered more often. Her voice is wonderful here also - complete with her lovely growl:) It's interesting how her voice can be so delicate and feminine and at the same time so strong and fierce.

My personal favorite lyric:

This sidewalk ice is cold as steel
I'm not Dorothy, I can't click my heels
One of these days I'll move to LA
Where the nights stay warm and the boys come out to play


Nanci often incorporates New York into her songs - There's a Light Beyond These Woods, One Of These Days, Going Back To Georgia, Before (One day I was listening to Before on my ipod and when the lyric, It was snowing down on Bleecker Street came on, I realized I was walking down Bleecker Street and I couldn't help but smile) just to name a few. Perhaps because she was once going to move there, but was detoured to Nashville and there she stayed. I wonder how different her career would have been otherwise.

1 comment: