Sunday, April 4, 2010

scene project take 16...

Judy Berlin (1999) - Madeline Kahn








Madeline Kahn. What could I possibly say about this incredible woman that hasn't been said already? Certainly one of the finest film comediennes ever to grace our screens. She had impeccable timing and a delivery that can never be matched. She could make ANY line funny or memorable...and I mean any line. ("I'm coming in!" Anyone?) One of the things that makes her stand out above the rest is her uncanny knack of making all of her characters have a soul that you cared about. Her most well-known characters: Lili Von Schtupp, Trixie Delight, Elizabeth, Eunice Burns, could have all easily become cartoon characters in someone else's hands. And though they certainly are outrageous and silly, Madeline had a talent for (similar to Judy Holliday) in really humanizing them into real people. The best example of this is probably Trixie Delight from Paper Moon which I will explain in a later post.

Judy Berlin was to be Madeline's final film before succumbing to ovarian cancer at the young age of 57. It is a brilliant swan song to a truly unique career. Alice Gold, her character, is an odd and troubled woman who is struggling with her relationships with both her husband and son. In this scene, she is roaming the streets of Babylon, New York during a long-lasting eclipse. At one point she runs into her what seems to be her psychologist. He seems concerned, almost afraid about how long the eclipse is lasting and Alice assures him everything will be alright. She jokingly states that in a crisis, she is actually very calm because then she and the world are finally speaking the same language.

She then has a touching little monologue about her husband Arthur (Bob Dishy) and how he once got up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water "and without asking, he got one for me. Without, without asking." Finally, she meets Arthur in front of their home and they have a beautiful and wordless moment that actually conveys volumes. They have a sort of apology and forgiveness moment for something that occurred earlier in the film. It's not actually completely wordless - in his moment of apology Arthur simply says "Hello" and this simple gesture is all Alice needed to hear and she replies back "Hello" with a hint of a smile. It's kind of a difficult moment to describe but it is wonderfully executed.

This is one of Madeline's greatest performances. She is very funny as always, but she also has an even more noticable depth that only grows with each viewing. Honestly, everytime I watch this I discover something new that she has done. For being largely known as a comedic actress in slapstick/toilet humor heavy films (I'm talking to you, Mel Brooks and I love you for it!), her subtlety can be astounding.

Madeline Kahn is absolutely a personal heroine for me and one who I am constantly talking about or quoting. ("Flames on the side of my face!") She was a great loss to both the film and theater community and I often wonder what she would be up to now. I really think that her work in Judy Berlin could have taken her career in a different direction and opened her up for more varied and demanding projects. I guess we'll never know. But I thank her wholeheartedly for sharing her gift with us in her many films. I read a quote from her once which I must paraphrase, she said, "I may be in trash sometimes, but I never treat is as such - never." And it's true, the lady was a true class act. Thank you Ms. Kahn!

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember the line about her being calm in a crisis because she and the world are finally speaking the same language, but that's genius! How'd I miss that?

    ReplyDelete