Thursday, January 21, 2010

scene project take 4...

A Mighty Wind (2003) - Catherine O'Hara





This was when I fell in love with Catherine O'Hara. She and Eugene Levy played famed folk singers Mitch & Mickey. Back in the 1960s they were the hottest couple in folk music; now Mickey has gotten married and Mitch has gone off the deep end slightly.

In this scene, the emotional climax of the film, Mitch and Mickey perform their signature tune, "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" at Town Hall in NYC. When they used to perform this number, they would always end with a kiss...will they now? Well, I've ruined it for you but there you have it.

Catherine O'Hara gives my favorite performance of hers in this film. She's funny as ever but she's also beautfully melancholy throughout the film. This is a Christopher Guest film which means that everything was improvised and poignant improvisation is not easy, but she pulls it off with aplomb.

BTW, Town Hall is where I saw Nanci Griffith in concert and she mentioned this movie during the show...the lady has taste:)


3 comments:

  1. YES YES YES to everything

    on a side-note: recently I was getting flustered about something, and turned to my friend, who told me that I was channeling O' Hara in "Beetlejuice" because I was talking to him with my eyes closed! And then I watched it again and fell in lurv

    ReplyDelete
  2. also--- the mary poppins banner is sooooo gorgeous and perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Babs, the banner is great!

    ReplyDelete