Sunday, January 24, 2010

come home to your mother...

http://

Canadian folk singer Kate McGarrigle passed away several days ago of cancer at the age of 63. I just recently discovered the music of she and her sister Anna McGarrigle and was saddened to hear of her death.


This is a song that Kate performed at her family's (inluding children Rufus and Martha Wainwright) annual Christmas concert just this past December. She had just written this song 2 weeks prior to the show. It is a gorgeous piece of music with one of the most haunting melodies I've ever heard. It's a wonderful swan song for this talented lady.

RIP Kate...

4 comments:

  1. Not that I'm aware of, sadly...but at least we have this..

    ReplyDelete
  2. colleen! sorry, this is off-topic...but have you seen Whip It? It's on DVD now, and it's so fun! Marcia Gay Harden rocks it too (as the mom!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ian!

    I have not seen it yet...thank you for reminding me! I need to see it not only because of the fabulous Marcia Gay (as the mom:)) but also because it was filmed partly in ann arbor, michigan where i used to live...rock on!

    ReplyDelete